Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Google Reader and RSS feeds

I've never been a big fan of RSS readers. RSS feeds are extremely useful (especially on non-PC type computing devices - mobile, TV, etc.) - the idea of an automatically updating stream of information delivered in one central location is very appealing. The execution of stream reader software has generally been very spotty though (IMHO). Sage was pretty interesting, but it ultimately ended up with the rest - bloating up my firefox extensions cuz I'm too lazy to remove it.
Enter Google Reader, the first feed reader software that I've actually used and didn't discard as an interesting novelty program. Labeling (which still needs some work), embedded audio streams, and especially the Quicksilver-esque keyboard shortcuts have all been executed very smartly, and I'm looking forward to using this in the future.