Thursday, May 17, 2007

Pretty amazing op-ed blasting torture in the WaPo today from a former Marine commandant and a former CinC CENTCOM. There's really no need for me to elaborate on it, other than point out that 1) they're pretty strongly against torture for all the right reasons (moral and strategic concerns being the 2 strongest arguments), and 2) they're pretty obviously not terrorists or freedom-haters. What gives? Maybe these guys really are Al-Qaeda.

(Note: I was going to make a really snarky comment about joining the John Birch society so I could have the necessary tools to infiltrate the military and root out terrorist sympathizers, so I went to their website to gather some info. Turns out they're not exactly pro-torture either. See here, here, here, and especially here (follow the link on the page to see what waterboarding is really like). So I guess JBS gets crossed off my "Assumed Hypocritical Conservative" list, in fact the more I read the more I liked the JBS' espousal of reduced executive branch authority.)

(Note 2: Charles Krulak is the son of Victor "Brute" Krulak, a pretty famous Marine general during the Vietnam era. He is famously described in Neil Sheehan's "A Bright Shining Lie", I highly recommend it.)

0 comments: